Nicolo Yu's Reviews > Kalayaan Volume 1: A New Pinoy Superhero

Kalayaan Volume 1 by Gio Paredes

Jun 17, 2012

bookshelves: philippine-komix, summer-reading-2012
Read on May 22, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

I first met Gio Paredes at Komikon 2011 in November. I wanted to try the adventures of his superhero creation Kalayaan, which is Filipino for freedom. His art has a Rob Liefeld vibe, his super strong hero has an enormous musculature that gave it a disproportionate appearance that is Liefeldesque. His art captured the energy and power that was often ignored by critics of Liefeld’s work who never even read his books. Though Paredes may have dynamic art, which was not to say his work was polished from the onset. One would need to compare the cover on this trade paperback with the finished art on his first chapter. The older art was sophomoric compared to the much finished cover which Paredes did after he had already a dozen of his self-published mini-comics under his belt. His technique got better as the title progressed.

Paredes’ Kalayaan debuted as little more than an ashcan comic with a character fully formed, his origin and motivation revealed in installments across four issues. Essentially, Kalayaan is a wish fulfillment fantasy for the ordinary Filipino. An ordinary Filipino averages in height at around 5’7”, but because of his gene enhancement therapy, that gave the hero his powers, he grows to 6’5” with super strength, flight, limited invulnerability and gadgets. He is Superman and Batman rolled into one, but with feet of clay similar to the characters Stan Lee created in his Silver Age heyday. Kalayaan has great powers, but it came with a price that flew straight in the face of Filipino macho pride and shook our hero to his core.

I found myself enjoying this slim volume, a collected edition of the first four Kalayaan mini-comics. It was much more than I anticipated and I am looking forward to the next volume. Especially since Paredes continued to improve as he regularly churned out his comics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kalayaan Volume 1.

02/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Gio (new)

Gio Paredes Wow, thank you very much for this very well written review. I hope that you could also read the succeeding issues of my comics. :-)

message 2: by Gio (new)

Gio Paredes For more info. and updates on my comics you can go to these sites..

Nicolo Yu Gio wrote: "Wow, thank you very much for this very well written review. I hope that you could also read the succeeding issues of my comics. :-)"

Thanks! I hope you release another collected edition of Kalayaan