Krista's Reviews > A Short Guide to a Happy Life

A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen

Sep 03, 09

Read in August, 2009

Although I didn't plan it this way, I read this on the plane flying to AR to attend the funeral service of my favorite aunt. A few pages into the book, the words "do you think you'd care so very much about those things if you developed an aneurysm one afternoon, or found a lump in your breast while in the shower?" Thinking about my aunt (who died suddenly from an aneurysm) and how much she impacted the people in her life, coupled with the words written in this book, caused me to really think about my life and how I live it.

I read from another review that this was a commencement speech given by Quindlen and made into a short book, a 15-minute read that is filled with many anecdotes and nuggets of truth and wisdom. It's the kind of book that should be read every year on one's birthday or on New Year's Day. Bottom line: enjoy the view, life's is short and we are abundantly blessed. Enjoy every beauty, big and small, that life has to offer. Beautifully written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short Guide to a Happy Life.