Teresa's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Jun 17, 12

Read from June 16 to 17, 2012

Two years after the Titanic sinks, another ship sinks traveling from Europe to America. A group of people, about 40, end up in a lifeboat not large enough to hold 40. The main character is a woman named Grace. There are several other central characters, the most interesting being the man in charge of the lifeboat. I just finished the book and need to digest it more before adding more to my review. My initial reaction is: great writing on many levels, a beautiful description of the ocean and weather, and complex characters. Readers will not be surprised by how the plot progresses, as all "lifeboat" stories tend to follow the same trajectory. What makes this one different is the characters and the gray areas, the undecisiveness, the slow unfolding of weak from strong, individual realizations, human flaws and cruelty. Because I do not want to give away the story and spoil it for anyone, I won't go into my final assessment of the main characters here, but I would like to if anyone else wants to discuss it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.