Joan's Reviews > Trash

Trash by Andy Mulligan

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: children, young-adult, 2013-caudill
Read in June, 2012

This is my very first experience reading and ebook. I enjoy electronic reading more than I thought I would. Now as for this particular title...

This is actually my second time around with Trash. I think it deserves a second read to pick up everything this novel has to offer. It is a mystery, yes, but the overriding theme is poverty and corruption.

Raphael, Gardo, and Rat are trapped in their world, which non-third world country readers would consider a nightmare. For these boys, it is life as they know it. The poverty and violence is devastating. I hope younger readers take time to read about the writer's experiences that led to this setting. Although, this is a work of fiction, the poverty, violence, and corruption really exists and we cannot ignore it. The political corruption that is a major part of the plot is complex and may take a more mature reader to interpret.

Raphael, Gardo, and Rat are brave and perseverant. Who would not want them to win over the bad guys and escape their nightmare? Is it possible for the little guys to win?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trash.