Chev E's Reviews > Serpent's Kiss

F 50x66
Jul 03, 12

liked it
Read from June 18 to 23, 2012

At the end of Witches of East End everything was in order, and then Freddie, Freya's twin who is supposed to be stuck in Limbo, mysteriously turns up. Now he is claiming that he is in fact innocent of the crime he did to get himself there (breaking some bridge) and that the guilty party is Freya's one true love, Killian. Freya is torn between her brother and her fiance, unsure who to trust but desperate to believe them both innocent. Meanwhile, Ingrid is navigating the shallow waters of a new romance with police officer Matt, but keeps messing things up and making up with him, this being her first relationship in the history of time. (Literally, the history of time because she's some sort of goddess.) Ingrid is also helping some lost amnesiac pixies (no, I didn't make that up) manage in our world while trying to get them to remember who they are, where they're from, what they're doing here, and who sent them. And Joanna is being stalked by a spirit, each of them trying to get messages to the other and failing. All the different stories connect eventually, but for the most part the story seemed kind of disjointed.

It's kind of a pain to read a book with three main characters sharing the point of view while being totally indifferent to one of them. I couldn't stand reading Joanna's story because of how immensely tedious I found it. I would skim her pages, looking words to draw me back in to the story, and often I would have to turn back to read what I missed when the story got confusing. Freya's point of view was lackluster compared to her part in East End, but I enjoyed it anyway, and Ingrid's was annoying because of her self-doubt and her repeated conversations with the pixies which seemed pretty much identical save for a plot-changing detail or two revealed in each one. And Freddie's story just made me dislike the interloper even more than I did when he blamed my precious Killian.

Around a hundred pages in I was all ready to just give up and put the book down. If I don't feel that urgent need to know what happens next and I have to convince myself to actually continue, what's the point of reading it? However, after flipping to the last page and reading about the really cool thing that happened I decided to give it a couple more pages. Serpent's Kiss wasn't amazing, but it wasn't boring or dumb enough to give up on. I wouldn't recommend the series to someone who isn't a fan of Melissa de la Cruz or fantasy, but I am looking forward to reading the final book in the trilogy. The only problem was that I had to get through the first two books first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serpent's Kiss.