Reena Jacobs's Reviews > The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression

The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: indie, non-fiction, 2012-reads, reviewed
Read from June 16 to July 20, 2012

This review also on Ramblings of an Amateur Writer: http://reenajacobs.com/blog/?p=10111

Okay... I'll be honest, I didn't read this book in its entirety. But then again, it's not that kind of book, since it's for reference. Still, you're getting my review anyway.

Without fail, I've gone to the Bookshelf Muse (the author's website) during the writing process, and even more often during the editing process. The website offered a variety of ways to show different emotions. No more getting stuck with a frown for anger or a smile for happiness. The Bookshelf Muse showed how to show emotions throughout your character (internally and externally). When the author/blogger condensed and simplified the Emotion Thesaurus on her blog, she put it all in this book.

An excellent resource. The purpose of the book isn't to copy and paste ways to show the emotion into your own writing, but rather to help spur your imagination... give you ideas to expand upon.

What I like less about the eBook version: Clicking through the emotions isn't nearly as easy as the website version. With the website, I simply went to the sidebar and click the emotion. In the eBook version, I might have to flip through a few pages before I could click to the table of content then flip through more pages before I hit the emotion I wanted.

Still, the author made it as convenient as possible. At the end of each emotion you can click to the table of contents.

What I liked more about the eBook version: Not worrying about the internet going out or her blog being down (not that I recall her blog ever going down). When I'm stumped, I just pick up my eReader and find the emotion I need. I don't need the internet or anything.

Definitely a 5 star resource book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emotion Thesaurus.

06/16/2012
0.0% "I have to admit, I was a bit bummed to see one of my favorite free resources with a price tag. But really, I don't blame the authors. Their Emotion Thesaurus is a treasure cove. I purchased a copy and know it'll be worth every brown cent."