Lisa Kay's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Whoa. Babe. Khristine Hvam elevated this book – which started out very much a Young Adult Paranormal – to a sophisticated, thought-provoking Fantasy with mythological and religious overtones. Her narration is Exceptional, with a capital “E.” She delivers Ms. Taylor’s lyrical prose effortlessly while infusing the voices of human, seraphim, chimaera, and other magical creatures with distinct characteristics and a variety of multicultural accents. Each has a unique voice of their own, making them come vividly to life in the author’s, imaginative, whimsical and darkly parallel worlds. I see why this won an Audie Award.

The story starts out with Karou, a seventeen-year-old multi-lingual art student who is not above a little petty revenge. She lives in the cobblestone setting of Prague, with a host of mythical creatures in a small shop. Only her little cubbyhole has portals to extra-dimensional places and a father figure raising her by the name of Brimstone!

This is a detail-rich book that has clues as to Karou’s destiny everywhere. I know I’ll be listening to this one again, if only to catch them all; however, next time I think it will be as a “buddy read.” There are too many provocative discussions that could arise from this novel. For one, you think Karou is just the typical “beautiful, kick-ass” heroine found in so many YA Paranormals. (view spoiler) Of course, there is her blue hair, her hamsas** and, well…the whole issue of her true identity being more than an errand girl to a monstrous sorcerer who has a fetish for teeth!

Then there is Akiva, an angel with fiery wings, who believes pity and mercy have been extinguished in him. Nonetheless, his skin comes alive when Karou touches him, bringing him to his knees. She’s instantly smitten, too, though her palm tattoos burn and ache in warning. After all, his mission is to close the doors to Elsewhere, so these two are on opposite sides; nevertheless, this is more than a mire Romeo and Juliette star-crossed-lover formulaic relationship. Ms. Taylor has woven an enthralling love story into a magical tale with an underlying message of hope.

Is there a cliffhanger? Yes, to say the least. I gasped at the ending. Come on September!

*I’d like to thank Pamela (AllHoney) for finding the above picture and posting it on our community “Doors and Windows” Pinterest Board; perfect depiction for one of the portals to Elsewhere.

**hamsas: a palm-shaped tattoo with an eye in the center

Indian-fusion Hamsa Tattoo, by Jimmy Blaze

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor Untitled (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor
26 likes · Likeflag

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Laini Taylor
“She moved like a poem and smiled like a sphinx.”

Laini Taylor
“Stop squandering yourself, child. Wait for love.”

Laini Taylor
“I don't know many rules to live by,' he'd said. 'But here's one. It's simple. Don't put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles--drug or tattoo--and...no inessential penises either.'

'Inessential penises?' Karou had repeated, delighted with the phrase in spite of her grief. 'Is there any such thing as an essential one?'

'When an essential one comes along, you'll know,' he'd replied.”

Laini Taylor
“...something was starting to take shape, out of magic and will. Smoke and bone.”

Laini Taylor
“Hey! My body may be small, but my soul is large. It’s why I wear platforms. So I can reach the top of my soul.”

Laini Taylor
“It's not like there's a law against flying."

"Yes there is. The law of gravity.”

Laini Taylor
“Hope is the real magic, child.”
Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Mary I'm planning on re-reading this before September. Me thinks I shall listen to it instead!

Lisa Kay Oh, maybe we could do a "buddy read," Mary? I'd be willing to do so b/f it comes out.

Mary Yes, I'd like that! Let's do it.

Katie I have had this downloaded for forever too...when are you guys planning on buddy reading it?

Mary I'm good for whenever. Just sometime before the next book comes out in September.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) Excellent review Lisa Kay! The start of the book was excellent, but the change of pace and storyline kind of caught me by surprise. Here's my review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Karla Wonderful review Lisa Kay. I've heard great things about this book, but I think I might enjoy listening to it instead of reading it, like you did. It's going on the wishlist at Audible!

Lisa Kay Okay, Mary & Katie!! Let's do it in late August, early September. I'll have to check the exact date of this release. I'll post a thread in NBRC group.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Jeann! Loved your review. My reply to your disgruntlement with the (view spoiler). Right?

Lisa Kay Great, Karla! I hope you like it as much as I did. Maybe you'd be interested in joining the "buddy read"?

Lisa Kay Oh, Amazon says this Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor, "This title will be released on November 6, 2012." So, maybe we should read Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor in October? I'll check the author's website to be sure.

Karla Lisa Kay wrote: "Great, Karla! I hope you like it as much as I did. Maybe you'd be interested in joining the "buddy read"?"

When will this take place Lisa Kay? Right now I'm pretty busy, but I'm definitely interested.

Did you see I listened to Storm Front? I loved it, the narrator could melt chocolate with that voice and I'm in love with Harry. I can't wait to get the next book. You've got me hooked LK!

Lisa Kay I'm think October for the BR, Karla. I can't set it up now in NBRC b/c GRs is acting hinkey right now, not dropping down the folders. But I will post it.

Yeah, Karla, I got to get back to ♥Harry♥. **sigh**

I've got you hooked on audiobooks? **hee hee** It is all part of my evil plan.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) Lisa Kay wrote: "Thanks, Jeann! Loved your review. My reply to your disgruntlement with the [spoilers removed]. Right?"
Indeed, just at the time I was reading it I was all WTF. actually, reading the book was a very WTF experience for me ;) the audiobook would have been really interesting!

Katie October is fine with me...
I also love the narrator for the Harry Dresden series...

Karla Lisa Kay wrote: "I'm think October for the BR, Karla. I can't set it up now in NBRC b/c GRs is acting hinkey right now, not dropping down the folders. But I will post it.

Yeah, Karla, I got to get back to ♥Harr..."

Sounds good, I can do October and I should be able to squeeze the first book in before then. Keep me in the loop!

Yes, you're evil plan is making me spend more money, but I LOVE it!

Lisa Kay Great, Katie!

Lisa Kay Karla, Mary & I mean to re-read this one, the first one...before #2 comes out in November. As a refresher "buddy read."

message 19: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary October is fine with me, too!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter The pic of the door is so beautiful, Lisa Kay! And as always, great review!

Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥ Agreed with Baba, the door is so beautiful! Where do you get it Lisa?

I don't know how to say about you, woman. Your review always wonderful and great!! Good job Lisa!

Lisa Kay Great, Mary!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Baba!

Lisa Kay Pamela (All Honey) found it for me, Nisha. She's great at finding things.

Lisa Kay Okay! I set up the "buddy read" here ! for October, 2012. Mark your calendars. ☺

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I love your reviews! I have problems with audio books in that the narrator's voices always lull me to sleep! LOL! I NEVER finish a book!

Lisa Kay I've had that happen, Dhes! LOL! Sometimes I have to resort to half audio/half paperback.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick See, I can't even get that far because before I know it, I'm sleeping! LOL!

message 29: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Sometimes I listen to a book and read it at the same time (if I happen to have both versions checked out). The audio does most of the work for me, but I can follow along in case I miss anything. Heh.

Lisa Kay I do that, Mary! LOL! Especially if I'm doing a "buddy read." I want to be able to answer all the questions.

message 31: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne As always, Great review Lisa Kay!

message 32: by Kelly22 (new)

Kelly22 wonderful review Lisa Kay! well done :)

Lisa Kay Thanks, KatLynne & Kelly!!

Karla I missed the group read Lisa Kay, which I'm sorry about, but I just got done listening and it was BRILLIANT!!

Lisa Kay Just now seeing this, Karla! Glad you love it as much as I did. Yes, the audio was one of my Top Ten Listens for 2012.

Ronyell Awesome review Lisa! Loved this book also!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Ronyell! I see you enjoyed the book, too.

Marla Just read this and I might have to listen to audiobook for next one after reading your review!

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* I'll have to check this out on audio next time!