Robyn's Reviews > The BFG

The BFG by Roald Dahl

Jun 16, 12

I read the book several years after a friend introduced me to the movie in about 5th grade. The movie was one of the 1st kids' shows I watched involving spoofs & humor about...certain bodily functions (don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I didn't think the "F" in his middle initial stood for "friendly", I thought it should've stood for "farty"!). It's kind of a shame that he didn't have a real name other than "BFG". I read the book maybe in or after college. It was a lot better than the movie, & it explained things better.

From the movie alone, I couldn't tell how functional his large ears were. And I couldn't tell just from the movie that b/c of his choice to be a vegetarian (at least sort-of, but he may have eaten bacon when having breakfast w/ the Queen), he was persecuted, ostracized, & bullied by the other giants (not b/c he had big ears?). (I can relate to this since people give me a hard time about my ovo-lacto-vegetarian dietary choices in a state [Texas] where steak & chicken-fried-steak are the primary blood-types!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The BFG.