Stacey's Reviews > One More Bite

161956
Oct 10, 2008

it was ok
Read in June, 2010

I went ahead and re-read the first four books because it had been so long between when I originally picked them up and when I was getting to this one. Plus I had number six on order and was excited to refresh my memory with all the characters.

Unfortunately, I did not find this one to be as good as the first four. The plot was a bit slow (after I picked it up and started reading I realized I'd made it 1/3 of the way through when I got the book last year but put it down and never made it back). Things heated up a bit after the first few chapters, but the story line didn't really draw me in like some of the other ones.

Then there were the characters which felt just a little too...similar, stock, one-linered this time around. The zippy and quick dialog was one of the things that drew me into the series in the first place. As I was reading through this book though, I started to see them as gimmicks. That could have been a result of me reading so many in a row or because Rardin ratcheted it up too far in this story. Either scenario is not a good place to be as a reader. I can imagine this to be a very hard line to walk with series. People want to learn more about the characters, go back and find out more about the world and hear new and exciting stories, all while feeling the "comfort" of the world/characters/plots they liked from the previous books. The previous books stuck a nice balance. This one felt more like it had an irregular heartbeat.

But you know, I hung in there. The story was entertaining enough to keep me going along with the allure of what might be in next installment in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One More Bite.