jD's Reviews > King of Thorns

King of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

Sep 01, 12

bookshelves: 1_library-yes, 2012, 2012_5-stars, fantasy_adventure_worldbuilding, fantasy_alt-history
Read from August 26 to September 29, 2012

This book blew me away and answered unanswered questions I didn't know I had from the first book, Prince of Thorns.

The anti-hero, Jorg, has made himself a king -- of sorts. In book one of the series, Prince of Thorns, we meet Jorg and get introduced to his vengence against his evil uncle and father. Jorg's is a child bandit at 14 running a gang of killers and rapist. Why? Because he helped them escape his father's dungeon and he is brilliant so they let him lead. It's clear that Jorg is ruthless. I reflect because it's so important to know Jorg before you venture into the second book. Mr. Lawrence does not do much in the way of details when reflecting on why Jorg is doing this or that.

In this second installment, I started out hoping against hope that Jorg was going to change or at least grow a heart. As it turns out, I should have been paying more attention to the world Jorg inhabits. The first book refers constantly to the Builders. It's wasn't until I started to understand some of the remnants of these builders that I got quite the shock. Trust me, it's not all explained but it's made clear that the timeline of this civilizaton in my mind is off -- quite a bit.

Once again, Jorg is the primary narrator but we also get Katherine's journal pages. She is his stepmother's sister and Jorg's obsession. For the most part, the story is told as reflection and memories except this time, the truth of the memories is suspect. Jorg has his memories taken from him and stored in a box because something terrible has happened and his friends want to protect him from the truth. Problem is they are at war against enemies on multiple fronts and Jorg's fight plans are now trapped with his many sins basically out of reach. Jorg learns to 'tease' small strands from the box and that is pretty much what we experience in the book. It's a nail biter with every danger more intense because Jorg has to remember what to do. Mr. Lawrence is a master. I give him full credit. It was so hard not to skip ahead.

The humor and general nasty thoughts that flow from Jorg's mind had me laughing out loud. It's such a dark tale yet his narration lifts some of the direness. The wit is so quick and dead-on. I would never want to meet a character like Jorg because he pretty much wants to kill everybody and generally does. On the other hand, he is by far one of my favorite fantasy characters of all time. I hope this is more than a trilogy!
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Thorns.

Quotes jD Liked

Mark  Lawrence
“The Prince of Arrow has a much bigger army than you," Miana said. No "Your Highness" no "My Lord."

"Yes, he does." I kept waving to the crowd, the big smile on my face.

"He's going to win, isn't he?" she said. She looked twelve but she didn't sound twelve.

"How old are you?" I asked, a quick glance down at her, still waving.

"Twelve."

Damn.”
Mark Lawrence, King of Thorns

Mark  Lawrence
“Below is a conversation between Jorg and his new bride.

"The Prince of Arrow has a much bigger army than you," Miana said. No "Your Highness" no "My Lord."

"Yes, he does." I kept waving to the crowd, the big smile on my face.

"How old are you?" I asked, a quick glance down at her, still waving.

"Twelve."

Damn.”
Mark Lawrence, King of Thorns

Jesslyn This is an unbelievably good book!

message 2: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD I know right! By far one of the best I have come across in a minute.

Jesslyn Okay, I have to add my favorite quote:

“The next words out of your mouth, priest, will be ‘Yes, Your Highness’ or you’ll be making a meal of this cane.” To his credit the priest hesitated, then said, “Yes, Your Highness.” I doubt he believed my lineage, but he sure as hell believed my culinary predictions.

message 4: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD Jesslyn wrote: "Okay, I have to add my favorite quote:

LoL. I am stilling laughing over that 12 year old bride. LMAO!