Steph's Reviews > Darkness Before Dawn

Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London

2142019
Darkness Before Dawn introduces us to Dawn. Nine years after the end of a thirty-year war between humans and vampires, the death of Dawn's parents leads to her becoming the youngest Agency delegate. As a delegate she is responsible for meeting with "one of the most powerful vampires in the world: Lord Valentine" to discuss, well, blood.
As a part of the VampHu Treaty that ended the war, humans in the cities supply blood to the vampires on the outside. In return the vampires don't attack the cities. Donating blood is voluntary; no one is forced to do it.

However, now that some time has passed, people are donating less and less. They are starting to rebel a bit against having to remain behind the twenty-foot high wall that surrounds their city. Moreover, the city is not vampire-free as it should be.

My first paralove affair was with vampires. I am also a fan of a good dystopian. So, when I spotted several vamp dystopian stories coming out this year I couldn't resist grabbing them all. Darkness Before Dawn happens to be the first one I chose to read.

Some of the bits that I enjoyed most were:
- The Night Watchmen, who are trained to fight against vampires and protect the citizens within
- The classes taught in school were vamp-oriented: fighting, psychology, history, etc.
- The Night Train, which is the "only train that run across the country; it move practically non-stop, twenty-four hours a day. Literally, one train, one track. It was written into VampHu as the only alternative for long-distance travel, now that airplanes are outlawed."
- I thought it was interesting that "each city is an island. Vampires didn't want humans to compare notes. All news is local news. All radio and television shows are made within the city, for the citizens."
- Only twenty walled cities remain in the United States, and [Denver] connects the five in the West with the other fourteen to the east. If [they're] ever taken over by vampires, then the country would be split in half.

Some meh bits:
(view spoiler)

The world that London has created is very interesting, yet I was not particularly drawn to any of the characters within it. I did like Victor, Lord Valentine's son and there was nothing specific that I did not like about our heroine. There is a love triangle, which while I am not a big fan of them I have come to almost expect them in YA novels. This one was one of the more well-written, IMO.

The book ends on a cliff-hanger, which has sparked a desire to read book two, Blood-Kissed Sky, immediately. Alas, we'll have to wait until Christmas 2012. There is a short snippet from BLOOD KISSED SKY at the end, which makes readers that much more curious about how things will change in Dawn's world.

Possibly of note to some: J. A. London "is the mother-son writing team of Jan (mom) and Alex (son) Nowasky. Jan, AKA Rachel Hawthorne, is the author of the Dark Guardian YA series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Before Dawn.

06/16/2012
06/17/2012
39.0% "Egads! A love quadrangle? Oh, I hope not. I have a hard enough time with triangles. “Sin,” the new guy corrects him. “Everyone just calls me Sin.” Of course they do." 2 comments
06/17/2012
49.0% "Why do characters always say things like, "Because that smile scares me for reasons I can’t explain" when clearly they can explain the reasons they just choose to ignore them? Not really the same thing, yah?"
100.0% "RTC"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Good review, almost makes me wanna read it, almost. LOL.

Gorgeous cover!!!!!!

Steph Yeah, definite pluses and minuses. But, damn, the ending hooked me and now I wanna know what happens next. The cover is gorgeous.

Tobi thanks for the review! reading it now.

Steph Thanks for taking time to read it, Tobi. Hope you enjoy the book!