Ciara's Reviews > The Passionate Mistakes and Intricate Corruption of One Girl in America

The Passionate Mistakes and Intricate Corruption of One Girl ... by Michelle Tea

Nov 20, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2006, feminist-y-books
Recommended for: no one! stay away!
Read in February, 2006, read count: once

more michelle tea. *shudder* this was the worst of the worst worst of the worst. as much as i have hated & detested every single one ofmichelle tea's books, this one was THE WORST. one of the top ten worst books i have ever read? possibly. it actually went out of print for quite some time, but was re-released after valencia proved to be fairly popular with a certain segment of readers. this is kind of like valencia, except even more boring, non-sensical, & painful to read. maybe there are some people who find the title poetic. personally, i find it difficult to read & it doesn't inspire me to make the effort to understand the words. now multiply that by the content of the entire book & you have something as hateful to read as, like, hakim bay or something. i guess this is autobiographical, & there are plenty of punk-y feminist-y queer ladies i have known in my day who ate this shit up & were like, "yeah, this is totally my life! oh my god! michelle tea is totally our bretheren!" then why is that a bretheren you want to be a part of? it's nice that she didn't try to sugar-coat her persona in the book & make herself all like-able, but, i mean, her character is insufferable. i couldn't be friends with someone like that. i wouldn't want to identify with a protaganist like that. i just HATED this book with every fiber of my being. WHY WHY WHY?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passionate Mistakes and Intricate Corruption of One Girl in America.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stefano Leoni why did you carry on reading it?