All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Shadow's Edge

Jun 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, earc
Read in June, 2012

A concentrated dose of romantic fantasy and sexy threat, SHADOW’S EDGE blends an old school romance “backed into a corner” plot line into a more modern urban fantasy setting. Jenna Moore’s otherworldly gifts have always come at a price, first the breakup of her family, then a lifetime of secrecy, and finally imprisonment in a shapeshifter enclave. This give and take narrative kept me titillated and engaged and while the hero and heroine don’t hold many surprises, the supporting cast breaks a few molds.

Jenna and Leander are drawn to each other like magnets, and Geissinger allows Jenna’s silence to be the foil that keeps them apart rather than manufacturing fights. Though her actions were frustrating at times, the narrative gives Jenna plenty of reasons to resist assimilation into the Ikhet. This hidebound society cost Jenna her father, and even in present day it was believable that born Ikhet would rebel against the strictures that offer little hope. Reading SHADOW’S EDGE led to inevitable comparisons to Shana Abe’s THE SMOKE THIEF. Though Abe employed more poetry and politics, SHADOW’S EDGE puts an overtly sexy spin on things. Even with the fairly predictable main character dynamic, I loved Geissinger’s indomitable ladies and modern world. Morgan’s struggle is all the more poignant next to Jenna’s genetic gifts, and I would have liked more page time with this particular supporting character.

If SHADOW’S EDGE sets the stage, the rest of the series has some big questions to answer. Hinting at sweeping changes to come, I’m very interested to see how Jenna’s interactions with Ikhet society plays out the next few books. Familiar tropes got me this far into the series, but Jenna and Leander were too predictable to bring me back on their own. I’ll be watching for more of Morgan, though, and I hope the other little background surprises get center stage in book two.

Sexual Content: Several sex scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow's Edge.