Kye's Reviews > Star

Star by Justin McLachlan

Jun 16, 12

Read in June, 2012

I loved this book, even more than the author's last (which was very different).

The story starts with a pretty violent murder unfolding in the main character's life. Making it all the worse, he's a celebrity and the world is watching his own personal tragedy unfolds. He's left with a broken career, and a little brother whose now his sole responsibility.

We see a lot of what happened in flashbacks, mostly. The story pieces together like a puzzle as bits and pieces come back to the main character, Jack.

This is a paranormal fantasy / mystery -- though it doesn't seem like it at first. That's what really drew me in... the paranormal elements aren't the focus of the story, its much more character driven. The paranormal elements add to the sense that there's something fare deeper going than we understand, or at least will understand with this book.

Fair warning: This author seems to relish in ambiguity, his last book (Time Up) ended with a pretty ambiguous ending and this one, maybe even more so. There's definitely a fine ending to the mystery -- we do find out who did it, so to speak -- but in the last couple of pages, paragraphs even, just when you think the story is over he turns the tables all around and you go... wait, what? No way. And then... it ends.

Recommend if you're a fan of mysteries, and like a little weirdness to your stories.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star.