Berry101's Reviews > My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece

U 50x66
Jul 21, 2016

liked it
Read in March, 2012

My best friend recommended/borrowed this book to me after my LONG hiatus from book-reading, so she thought it would be better for me to start off with something not so heavy or suffocating. It was a quick and easy-to-read book which I enjoyed very much.

The narrator of the book was a 10-year old boy named Jamie who apparently lost her sister, Rose from an explosion. Jamie is a cute, innocent gingerhead boy who experienced the possible downfall of his family just because of the death of her sister who he can't even remember. He found himself craving attentions from either of his parents and that really devastated me a lot.

Jamie didn't cry nor did he express any sad emotions whatsoever on the deathbed of her sister. You might think he was insensitive or just plain emotionless, but I do feel Jamie was too young to comprehend that feeling of losing someone you loved so much. As the story progressed, the climax just came in and emotions just burst out all at once. I love how amazing the author was as she described that thoughts and emotions Jamie felt just perfectly. So I was able to put myself in Jamie's shoes and I felt what he felt. :')

Now here comes that one little star that I intentionally took out from my rating. I am not underestimating 4th grader out there, but it was very unrealistic for a 10 year-old to have such mature, detailed thoughts. Aside from that, I do feel the ending was too brief, rushed and overall was a bit too boring. I feel the pacing of the story towards the end was not "there".
I love the book but not to a point where I actually would buy the book and put it on my shelf.

Overall, I kinda pity Jamie a lot and I am amazed how tough he was to be able to went through all the ordeals of him being lost, ignored, bullied and isolated. Oh no, the book is not all about a kid being EMO all day. There are hints of romance and nicely done humour in the book. So I recommend this book to ..... anyone really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece.

07/21 marked as: read