George's Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: ipad, lacpl-epub, david-mitchell
Read from August 03 to 10, 2012

A MINDBENDINGLY GOOD READ.

“Prejudice is permafrost.”—page 198

As very much as I enjoyed reading ‘Cloud Atlas,’ by David Mitchell (even though I did get lost in the plotlines at times), I liked ‘The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet: A Novel’ even more. Thus, it’s four, to four-and-a-half stars, for this one. Now I can’t wait to see the movie. (Hope I’ll be able to follow it.)

Recommendation: Reading David Mitchell is an epistemological adventure ride. His writing style is ‘crazy-genius,’ and his prose so rich it’s fattening. With high-caloric vocabulary (he must have swallowed a canasta-deck’s worth of dictionaries as a child), and deep fat fried phraseology (only Tom Robbins can come close) he seduces readers to go on and on, further and further, and always leaves them happier for the journey—and wanting more.

Read this book for the sheer joy of reading incredibly good writing.

“Sometimes the fluffy bunny of incredulity zooms round the bend so rapidly that the greyhound of language is left, agog, in the starting cage.”—page 153

Adobe Digital Edition [ePub] on loan from the Country of Los Angeles Public Library at: http://overdrive.colapublib.org/ 439 pages

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.