Seregil of Rhiminee's Reviews > The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead by Don Borchert

Jun 16, 2012

liked it

Before I say anything about this book, I'll say a few words about classic books, which have been converted to horror versions:

I think it's interesting that old classic books are being converted to horror versions. It's a fascinating phenomenon, because for example Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice has been converted to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and it has sold well (these new versions are surprisingly popular). These horror versions are a bit different from the original books, because they contain horror elements – they're basically the same books, but the contents are slightly different. Some readers love these new versions, but others hate them – I'm neutral when it comes to these horror versions (I don't love them, but I don't hate them either).

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead is an interesting version of Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I'm not sure what Mark Twain fans will think of this book, but I liked it. It offered nice horror entertainment for a couple of hours. This book can be read fast, so I think it's approriate to say that it offers harmless entertainment for a warm (or rainy) summer day. If you're looking for easy-to-read horror, this book is a good choice.

It was interesting that Don Borchert had decided to use the word "Zum" instead of "zombie". It was also interesting that this book contained illustrations.

It's been a long time since I read the original, so I didn't remember all the happenings, when I read this version. I only remembered certain things (Tom paints the fence, Tom fights with another boy etc). If I'd read the original book again, this book would've probably been more entertaining, because it uses the original book as the basis for zombie action and it contains all the characters (Tom, Huck, aunt Polly etc) from the original book. Although I didn't remember everything, I liked the story, because Don Borchert had converted the original story to an entertaining zombie format, because Tom Sawyer lived a bit different kind of life in this book.

In my opinion The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead is pure entertainment. It isn't supposed to be taken seriously, because it's almost like a parody of the original book. Whether this book is good or not depends – in my opinion – on the reader. If you're able to live with the fact that a classic book has been converted to a horror book, you'll probably enjoy this book, but if you're a Mark Twain purist, you may not like this book.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead is harmless and enjoyable entertainment for horror fans with a twisted sense of humour. I think that readers who are interested in reading horror versions of old classics will be delighted to read this book, because it contains zombies (Zums). I think that this book will be a bestseller, because all the other new versions have sold well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead.