Rick's Reviews > Only the Truth

Only the Truth by Pat Brown

Jun 16, 2012

I bought this not knowing for sure what I was getting into. So here's MY take...no spoilers!

Did you see the movie Winter's Bone? Whether you did or not: you get immersed in a world right here in the U.S. that seems totally foreign to you. Great characters that introduce you to ways of thought, lifestyles and depth of feeling that draw you close to them.

Our hero is illiterate and has an outhouse. He is also fiercely loyal and more intuitive than you'd think. He befriends a stranger, based on gut feelings...and refuses to accept that his instincts might be wrong.

My ONLY problem with Brown's novel is that it SUDDENLY wraps everything up in the last few pages. I wish she had put as much effort into the 'feel' of the ending as she did throughout the book. It almost felt forced & quick after so much great writing beforehand.

I read this very short book in one sitting. I had to. Because, while 'Only The Truth' is steeped in atmosphere and character development, it is first and foremost a helluva good mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only the Truth.