Tracy's Reviews > Astrid and Veronika

Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson

Jun 16, 12

Read in October, 2010

This was my choice for our Book Club and it generated one of the most in-depth and lengthy discussions we've had! I was reading it for the second time for our Book Club and found new insights ... it was definitely worth a second read!

"With extraordinary emotional power, Linda Olsson’s stunningly well-crafted debut novel recounts the unusual and unexpected friendship that develops between two women. Veronika, a young writer from New Zealand, rents a house in a small Swedish village as she tries to come to terms with a recent tragedy while also finishing a novel. Her arrival is silently observed by Astrid, an older, reclusive neighbor who slowly becomes a presence in Veronika’s life, offering comfort in the form of companionship and lovingly prepared home-cooked meals. Set against a haunting Swedish landscape, Astrid & Veronika is a lyrical and meditative novel of love and loss, and a story that will remain with readers long after the characters’ secrets are revealed."
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Astrid and Veronika.