Andrea's Reviews > Lost!

Lost! by David McPhail

Oct 11, 2008

bookshelves: picture-books

I enjoyed this book greatly, in part because I have been to Boston and could relate to the places the boy and bear travel. One of the things I love about this book is the fact that the action begins before any words are written, even before the title page. If students simply skip over the initial pages they miss how the story begins. This book provides a way to show children how important the illustrations are to a story, because many "just want to get to the words." Since the bear and the boy travel around Boston in their attempt to get the bear back to his forest home, a nice partner book would be "Make Way for Ducklings," which takes place in the Boston Public Gardens. Students will get excited when they see the famous swan boats in both stories. Since David McPhail inserts his own tribute to "Make Way for Ducklings" in one of his illustrations, I would possibly read "Make Way for Ducklings" to my students prior to introducing this story. The illustrations in this book enhance the story and children get a kick out of the variety of reactions people have to seeing a bear travel around the city with a boy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost!.