Jessica's Reviews > God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian

God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian by Kurt Vonnegut

4193477
Jun 16, 12

“This morning, thanks to a controlled near-death experience, I was lucky enough to meet, at the far end of the blue tunnel, a man named Salvatore Biagini. Last July 8th, Mr. Biagini, a retired construction worker, age seventy, suffered a fatal heart attack while rescuing his beloved schnauzer, Teddy, from an assault by an unrestrained pit bull named Chele, in Queens.

The pit bull, with no previous record of violence against man or beast, jumped a four-foot fence in order to have at Teddy. Mr. Biagini, an unarmed man with a history of heart trouble, grabbed him, allowing the schnauzer to run away. So the pit bull bit Mr. Biagini in several places and then Mr. Biagini's heart quit beating, never to beat again. I asked this heroic pet lover how it felt to have died for a schnauzer named Teddy. Salvador Biagini was philosophical. He said it sure as heck beat dying for absolutely nothing in the Vietnam War.”

This is one of my favorite selections from the book. As most Vonnegut is, this title is funny and makes you ponder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian.