Fabian's Reviews > The Power and the Glory

The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene

Jun 16, 2012

Read in June, 2012 , read count: 1

You can never go wrong with this guy—most definitely he's on my Top Ten list of All-Time favorite novelists. You cannot ask for crisper prose: the dialogue is practically in audio, the descriptions themselves cause impressive bouts with synesthesia. I cannot think of a single writer that is without flaw—the closest to that super-man would be Greene.

That being said, this is my least favorite novel of his thus far; and it is interesting to note that this one is widely hailed as his masterpiece. No sir, that title goes to “The Quiet American", a thunderbolt of supreme genius. But I even preferred “Brighton Rock”, too. Here, like in that one, Greene creates his own orb around a very fickle, very risque topic: religion (and, most specifically [not, of course, my favorite at all:] Catholicism). It is a very hard thesis to substantiate (that the search for God transcends the church) and yet the different facets in the tests and shortcomings of a very human, very counter-effective “whisky” priest proves just how false the whole enterprise is… and yet religion, it seems, is a must. I really did not side with any particular point of view, just enjoyed the ride—and it’s sort of like Cather’s “Death Comes to the Archbishop,” only better (an accomplishment without a doubt). It is ambitious and harsh, beautiful and devastating--Mexico is there, & yet not. It is cinematic and simultaneously personal. I will read ALL his others, for here is a novel to discover, & after some time naturally, to rediscover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power and the Glory.

04/13/2016 marked as: read

Mark It is a very hard thesis to substantiate (that the search for God transcends the church) and yet the different facets in the tests and shortcomings of a very human, very counter-effective “whisky” priest proves just how false the whole enterprise is… and yet religion, it seems, is a must

I am not sure if I quite understand what you mean here ?

Fabian Definitely requires better articulation: Religion is faulty, yet there are benefits to belief in a higher power.

Mark thanks. I appreciate the 're-tread'

Manray9 Good review, Fabian. I agree, but will go with The Heart of the Matter.

Fabian Manray9 wrote: "Good review, Fabian. I agree, but will go with The Heart of the Matter." Can't wait to read that one! Thank you. f.

message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah I second the recommendation for The Heart of the Matter - one of my favourite books of all time. He continues very much his look at personal relationships with God transcending religion. All rather remarkable for a man who converted to Catholicism.

Fabian Leah wrote: "I second the recommendation for The Heart of the Matter - one of my favourite books of all time. He continues very much his look at personal relationships with God transcending religion. All rather..."
I really gotta read this! f

Peter Thank for the review and the picture, both of which I enjoyed. I found the book to be astounding; Greene's ability to evoke compassion for this "whiskey priest" is nothing short of remarkable. Not a word or letter is misplaced in this novel. I've read several of Greene's works and with the many recommendations for Heart of the Matter, that is queued up as well.

message 9: by Don (new) - rated it 5 stars

Don I agree that you can't go wrong with Greene. I loved this book and I'm an Atheist. I just finished reading Travels With My Aunt and loved that one too. I need to read The Quiet American.

Peter I'm a big fan too don. I don't know what I'd characterize myself religiously. Definitely not a Catholic. But this guy is a great writer. Didn't you feel compassion for the Whiskey priest? How did he get us to do that? Quiet American was great. Better than the terrible movie.