Erika's Reviews > Black Satin

Black Satin by Rae Hachton

Jun 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012

Title: Black Satin (Pretty In Black #2)
Author: Rae Hachton
Publisher: Teen Pulse
Date of Release: May 28th, 2012
Source: Review E-Book
Summary From Goodreads:

What if you weren’t who you thought you were?
What if your whole life changed in an instant and you were released to a new identity?
What if you were forced to kill the one you love?
What if everything you knew wasn’t real, and you awaken to a new world?
What if love could take you to unknown places? How beautiful is death really?

Marcus Marble has disappeared from Ellie’s life, and she needs answers to questions and he’s the only one who can answer them. How is her sister back from the dead, and why is Ellie still alive? When Ellie realizes Marcus isn’t coming back, she is forced to move on with her life the best way she can, in hopes of finding the answers herself, but when people at school begin to be viciously murdered, and Giles reveals to her a life changing secret, she decides to investigate the possible truth of it. What she discovers is more than she thought she would. The only time Ellie feels normal is when she’s around Walter, the new guy at school. And normal is how she wants to feel, now that Marcus is gone from her life. But Walter may not be all that he seems, either, and she just might spiral in to an even more dark world, she never thought possible. And when it occurs to her that Marcus has made the decision to pass on through to the afterlife, during the Risorgimento, she races against time to stop him, while knowing she has feelings for Walter, too.
Will she make it in time to stop Marcus from passing through, and if she does, what will she tell Walter? Her heart will have to make the final decision. But will the choice be worth dying for?

Review: This series has something really special going for it, that I didn’t fully see until this installment. If you are stopping in and wondering about book one, Pretty In Black, head on over to the review archive and you will find it there. Anyways, new words are explored and others are given more depth and detail to what we already had known.

I adore Ellie, I believe I mentioned just how much already, but I thought it was worth mentioning again. In this installment Ellie is just as desperate for someone who just understands who she is, and how she feels. Then Marcus, who narrates a portion in the beginning, disappears, and Ellie copes the only way she ever has. She keeps her head down and moves on. All the while enter new guy Walter, who let’s face it is a very attractive love interest. I loved that I doubted him the whole way, even though he offered, basically everything thing Ellie needed. All the while Ellie has to deal with the fact her sister, Darcy, isn’t dead anymore. Which raises questions from those closest to the recently deceased.

While I do see a bit of a parallel to a lot of other books in the genre; love triangles, boy leaves, girl rushes to save boy etc.. I did really enjoy Black Satin. Instead of staring from where Pretty In Black ended, Rae starts from retelling the events from Marcus’s perspective which gives us more information and a better idea of who he is. Then the novel proceeds to move on to new action and events.

I personally enjoyed the new steam punk world Walter takes Ellie to, The Land of Naught. It’s the sort of imagery that cemented how amazing Rae Hachton’s writing is. Which has made me a firm fan of hers and I cannot wait for book three!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Satin.