Tyrannosaurus regina's Reviews > The Apex Book of World SF

The Apex Book of World SF by Lavie Tidhar

Jun 16, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction, speculative-fiction, short-stories, in-translation, multi-author-anthology
Read in June, 2012

It's rare I give an anthology more than three stars, just due to averaging out the weak and strong stories, but this one was fairly consistently strong for me, tipping the scales to the upper end. There is a tremendous mix of stories, though most seem to have been originally written in English (with just a few in translation, and of those the majority were translated by the author). If pressed to choose a favourite--okay, let me have two--they would probably be "L’Aquilone du Estrellas (The Kite of Stars)" by Dean Francis Alfar and Kristin Mandigma's "Excerpt from a Letter by a Social-realist Aswang", two stories which probably couldn't be more different from one another (though, interestingly, are by the two Filipino writers in the anthology).

Well worth reading, and I'm looking forward to the second volume, which my email assures me is making its way through the postal system to me at this very moment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apex Book of World SF.