Doug Dandridge's Reviews > Inhale

Inhale by Kendall Grey

Jun 16, 2012

Recommended for: Urban Fantasy Fans
Read from June 05 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

First off I will say that I am not a big fan of most Urban Fantasy, with the exception of Jim Butcher and some others. I loved Kendall's short in the anthology The End, and thought I would try her full length offering, Inhale. As a writer of scifi and fantasy I look for the mistakes of other authors, whether to learn not to make them myself or just to feel better about my own work. There weren't many mistakes to find in Grey's work. She is a wordsmith, plain and simple. From the start of the novel I could see that she knew her craft. The characters, Zoe the Marine Biologist and Rock Star/Sentinel Gavin are great characters, lovers and warriors who meet in the dream world in which nightmares have run loose. I loved the elementals that were the enemies and allies of humankind, especially the volatile Fyres. It was a fascinating Mythology that was different from the vampire and werewolf novels out there, and refreshing because of that. Grey was masterful in her descriptions and really did a great job on transporting readers into her world.

I work in a call center, and Inhale was my work book for a week. I was reading Robert Jordan and Karl Edward Wagner at home, and Inhale caught my interest even more so than did the works of those acknowledged masters. I didn't want to put it down, and saw the calls at work as an intrusion to my leaving this world for hers. Luckily it is summer and we weren't very busy. High praise indeed for a praiseworthy work. Highly recommended, but definitely not for the kiddies. The sex scenes were very hot from a male's perspective, but were definitely too graphic for the very young reader.

The only real complaint I had about the book had to do with generational things. I am probably older than the average reader of Inhale, and though I grew up in a partying generation, it was a different generation. I cannot fault the author for that personal preference, as this is her generation. What I can say is I will be buying and reading the next book in the series. I have something to learn from this young lady.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inhale.

10/13/2016 marked as: read