Ashley's Reviews > Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition

Differentiate or Die by Jack Trout

F_50x66
Nov 02, 07

Read in October, 2007

This book reminded me a lot of Selling the Invisible. It's an easy read, packed with lots of examples and information that sometimes seems counterintuitive. The point of the book, in simplest terms, is that although we may thing it's best to be all things to all people, it's actually best to pick one thing and do it well. Products and services should be marketed with one differentiating idea, which may mean sacrificing a share of the market.

My main critique of this book would be that for many of the examples, I could think of a counter-example. And at times, the book seemed to contradict itself. At first, I thought maybe I just wasn't understanding some of the concepts, but I don't really think that's the case. Interestingly, the last chapter of this book directly contradicts some of the recent business and marketing books that I've read, particularly Jack Welch's Winning and Larry Bossidy's Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done. That in and of itself isn't particularly interesting, but the fact that none of these authors is willing to take the middle ground and complicate matters a bit seems interesting to me. Maybe I'm just too familiar with academic writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Differentiate or Die.