Jasprit's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: out-2012, love-the-cover, read-in-2012, fantasy, ya, favourites
Read from June 18 to 22, 2012

“Courage of the heart is very rare... let it guide you”

It takes a lot for me to rate a book 5 stars these days, when I first started reviewing I remember I used to easily give every single book I loved 5 stars. But now over the last year or so I’ve found a book has to do so much more in order for me to rate it 5 stars. Take this year for example, three of my most memorable reads and which have easily become my all times favourites are Hunting Lila, Divergent and This is not a Test. I devoured these amazing books in just a few days, they are books which had me hooked in the first few pages, books which I couldn’t get enough of, that they had me up in the middle of the night thinking about them and for days afterwards. Throne of Glass made me feel all of the above and so much more that I am confident to say it could be my favourite of the year.

When I first heard about Throne of Glass, I admit I fobbed it off, I didn’t think it was my type of book, but then as these awesome reviews started trickling in, I knew I had to get my hands on a copy, they made me realise how much epicness I was missing out on.

Celaena Sardothien is an assassin at only 18 years old, she is one of the best around, but eventually she was finally captured, after someone ratted her out she was sent to Endovier prison, one of the harshest prisons around. Celaena stuck it out for a year until Captain Chaol Westfall captain of the guard and Dorian Havilliard crown prince of Adarlan turn up out of the blue with an offer she can’t refuse; she’s invited to take part in a competition with 23 other competitors, it will be a fierce competition and the winner will have to work for the king of Adarlan and then will be granted their freedom. Celaena comes up with the compromise that she will work for the king for four years, dealing with anything the king feels suffice. However to get to the final stages of the competition where there will be a dual between the last five remaining competitors Celaena will have to work for it, she will have to complete vigorous training and tests in 13 weeks. There however are major stipulations which must be adhered to as well the tough schedule; if a person ends up last in a test, they will be automatically eliminated and sent back to whichever hell-hole they were originally sprung from. (Celaena’s option back to Endovier). And if anyone tries to escape at any point in the competition then they will be killed. Celaena is given a difficult decision to make, but she knows her answer immediately, she wants her freedom, needs her freedom even if she has to work four years for it.

I loved this entire concept, of Celaena having to battle her way through to become the winner. What made the concept more interesting was that she had to take on a different identity, Chaol and Dorian didn’t want any of the competitors to know how much of a threat she could actually be. This miffed Celaena very much, but she had to agree that they knew what they were talking about, at least this way she would have the upper hand over her competitors. Also the fact that all the other competitors were male made it even more interesting as they would assume that she was weak and pathetic with her fake identity.

Celaena was one hell of a character; she was kick ass, intelligent, beautiful, but in no way cocky about it. I adored her snarky humour, as she always had an answer for everything. However despite the tough exterior she displayed, she also had a tender more fragile side too. In the back of her mind she was always worried that she would fail at some test and be sent back to Endovier. Celaena was an amazing heroine, however I was hoping to learn more about her before she became this big time assassin, we were given brief snippets into her life before, which seemed quite dark and achy, it certainly had my interest piqued, I’m hoping we will get to know her character and back story a little bit more in any future follow ups.

Dorian and Chaol; I originally started liking Dorian, he was a charmer, had a reputation with the ladies and of course he was the prince. He had a loveable rogueness about him, which I adored. Then there was Chaol captain of the guard, I wouldn’t say there was a love triangle as such, but two awesome male leads that were hugely likeable, that by the end I was completely torn about who I preferred more. Chaol was a lot more reserved than Dorian, he never gave too much away of how he was feeling, but I also loved his quick temperament, like Celaena he could come back with awesome one liners, and the time he and Celaena spent together training I extremely looked forward to just for the banter back and forth between them.

“Where are you going?
To rest my limbs and my lungs
yes well hopefully you’ll read something of quality before I see you again.
He sniffed the air as he walked out of the room. Hopefully you’ll
have a bath before I see you again”

An added bonus in this story is that we are treated with the occasional alternative pov’s from Chaol and Dorian, which I immensely enjoyed; they provided great, but brief insights into their characters.

I’m glad to say the secondary characters were also an integral part of the story, I find that I enjoy a story much more when the secondary characters provide so much to the plot instead of flitting in the background. Individually they provided several additional storylines around the main competition, from arrogant competitor Cain, to the irksome Lady Kaltain, the unreadable princess Nehemia and adorable Nox.

I could probably harp on about this book for ever, how the world building was immense, how Celaena, Chaol, and Dorian snuck their way to my heart and will leave an ingrained imprint, how at times it had me so fired up, but then at other times it had me jittery with nerves, how no matter how hard I tried to savour this beautiful book a little bit at a time and drag it out as much as possible, it still left me wanting so much more. All that I can suggest is that everyone should pre-order their copies right away, I have done so and I know I will be recommending this book to everyone.

Throne of Glass was truly a spectacular debut read, this epic book has made me realise that I will never be hesitant again in picking up a book by Sarah J. Maas.

A big thank you to Sam for lending me her copy.

This review and more can be found on The Readers Den

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

06/18/2012 page 77
19.0% "I already love this book so much!" 4 comments

Comments (showing 1-28)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 28: by Hilda (new) - added it

Hilda I'm very excited to hear what you think of it, Jasprit! This one receives so many amazing reviews! <3 How is it so far? :)

Jasprit I know I'm hoping I will love it too! I haven't been able to read much yet, hoping to get stuck in tonight! I will keep you posted! :)

message 26: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine YAY! I know that Sam really loved this one, so if you do too, then I just HAVE to buy it, right? ;) <3 That cover is really different from the US version but I kinda like it :)

Jasprit hah Yes the cover is gorgeous! I'm trying to savour this for as long as I can, but each time I sit down with it I end up reading more than I intend too! Can't wait for you to get a copy Mimi! :)

message 24: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Are you still enjoying this? I hope you are! :)

Jasprit Yes I am! I keep forgetting to update my progress :/ I think I'm going to be finished by tonight! But I don't want it to end! :(

message 22: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Haha I know how you feel! I wish I could get stuck into book 2 now. :D

Jasprit There's a book two??? How did I not know about this?? I really hope this one doesn't end in some awful cliffhanger, but yay for book two! I seriously can't get enough! :)

message 20: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Yep I read somewhere that Bloomsbury bought the next two books! :D

Jasprit That is fantastic! We probably have to wait a year in between each one right? I don't mind as long as I get to read about these amazing characters again! :D

Aa'Ishah Aargh, I keep hearing awesome things about this! Or rather, I keep reading awesome things. ;) Can't wait for your review, Jasprit! :)

message 17: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Oh my gosh, 5 stars from you too ?
This has to be pretty EPIC ! :)
Argh ! It's so frustrating that Bloomsbury doesn't accept international requests. :/
Can't wait to read your review though ! :D

Jasprit Thanks Nick, this review is taking the mick, I loved this book so hard that it's so hard to write a review! I hope you get your hands on a copy soon! :)

message 15: by Hilda (new) - added it

Hilda I LOVE 5 stars. <3 Oh, and my hands are itching to have it, love it, hug it, nurture it, kiss it... oh well, you get the idea. :P

Can't wait to read your epic review, Jasprit! ;)

Jasprit Haha thanks Hilda! The review is coming along slowly! It's just so hard to write how amazing it is! :)

message 13: by Hilda (new) - added it

Hilda LOL I totally understand! <3 Just take your time writing it! I know you'll do amazing job! ;)

Jasprit Aww thanks Hilda! I hope so!! :)

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Wow! That was a kickass review, Jasprit! This sounds right up my alley. I’m in! :)
p.s. Love the word “miffed”. Haha… :D

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam I agree with Laura! This review is amazing! :D I'm SOOO pleased you ended up loving this book, Jasprit, especially as you weren't even thinking about reading it at first. :)

Jasprit I know I can't believe I'd originally completely overlooked this awesome book! It's all because of your review that I wanted to read it :)

Laura as soon as it's out you should read it! I think you would love it! :)

Mimi Valentine HI THERE. This book has been automatically added to Mimi's narrow "to buy" list for the month. :') Absolutely amazing yet somewhat hazardous (to wallets) review, J! <3

Jasprit hahah Mimi you make me laugh! I'm sure you'll love it too! :) Can't wait to hear your thoughts :)

Aa'Ishah Celaena sounds like such a brilliant protag! This book looks like an amazing read. Brilliant review, Jasprit! :)

Jasprit Thanks Aa'Ishah hope you get your hands on a copy soon! :)

message 4: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia Wonderful review, Jasprit! I found that I gave five stars less easyly than before as well. I'm glad it becomes one of your favourite. :-)

Jasprit Thanks Sonia, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose become a tough rater lately! :)

♥Rachel♥ Wow, I must read this sooner rather than later. Both you and Sam gave this five stars and I know you two don't hand them out willy-nilly! The story sounds amazing. I like your cover better than the American one (that's the one I have). I like the idea of getting a POV from both of the male leads. I wonder which gent I'll favor. Brilliant review Jasprit.

Jasprit Awww thanks Rachel, yes you should get to this asap! I honestly can't wait for you to meet Chaol and Dorian, I'm still undecided, but soon as you pick it we can discuss who you like more! :)