Micah's Reviews > Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

Jun 27, 12

Read from June 17 to 26, 2012

I'll try not to gush too much, but this book is a must-read for anyone who loves or anyone who hates running. I don't give 5-star ratings often, but this one earned 'em.

I've followed Jurek for a couple of years now, mostly to the tune of his vegan athleticism. But Jurek emerged from this book a much more dynamic and complex character. For me, Jurek's articulation of how running allowed him to make productive the tension between living a life of extreme perfection and a life of wild abandonment simply blew my mind.

Woven among the narrative of his life you'll find delicious vegan recipes and delicious running tips. From the lentil-mushroom burgers to barefoot running, I must have dogeared more than a dozen pages to reference in the days ahead.

On running, whether you're a beginner, professional, or somewhere in between, Jurek sweetly articulates his experience cheering others at the finish line:

"Camping out at the finish line gave me a chance to cheer on my buddies and make new friends. More important, it gave me a chance to acknowledge what every single person who completed the race had endured. I had lived in my in-laws' basement, trained when I wanted to sleep, puked, moved numerous times, and gone into debt. The other runners must have endured privations, too. Every single one of us possesses the strength to attempt something he isn't sure he can accomplish. It can be running a mile, or a 10K race, or 100 miles. It can be changing a career, losing 5 pounds, or telling someone you love her (or him)."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat and Run.