Janet's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, egalley, debut-novels, book-club-pick, 2012-libfavs
Read from June 13 to 16, 2012

This is not a review, it's a love letter.

I adored this book. Why? It had a likeable narrator in Clay Jannon, a mysterious bookshop, romance, puzzles, secret societies, a San Francisco locale (with side trips to New York), and a sly sense of humor. The theme of Old Knowledge (books) vs. Internet knowledge gave the author the chance to slip in scenes at Google, a museum dedicated to knitting overrun by first graders, information about fonts, a character who made his fortune creating realistic 3-D versions of breasts, and a warehouse of artifacts that seemed a cross between what I imagine Amazon's warehouses to be and the warehouse from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The theme also allowed for scenes that reminded me of other books and movies, from Lord of the Rings, Canticle for Leibowitz, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Shadow of the Wind, and, strangely enough, O Brother Where Art Thou.

There were so many parts of this book I wish I could quote here! But I will restrain myself and wait until it is published in October. Until then, I will content myself with recommending it enthusiastically.

This book is fun . It's the kind of book that made a reader of me, the kind of book that keeps me reading, the kind of book I can't wait to tell people about. So be prepared.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

Quotes Janet Liked

Robin Sloan
“Some of them are working very hard indeed. “What are they doing?” “My boy!” he said, eyebrows raised. As if nothing could be more obvious. “They are reading!”
Robin Sloan, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

dateDown_arrow    newest »

karen ooh! i was going to start this today, but i forgot it at home. saddest.

Janet karen wrote: "ooh! i was going to start this today, but i forgot it at home. saddest."

But imagine the joy when you go home and find it waiting, all lonely and pining to be read.

I can't believe I missed him at BEA! Now must hope he comes to local bookstore.

karen i know,but what shall i do when i finish my last 40 pages of the book i have here?? stare at the wall???

Janet karen wrote: "i know,but what shall i do when i finish my last 40 pages of the book i have here?? stare at the wall???"

how do i say this -- you are in a place with plenty of books, no?

karen yeah, but i can't read an entire book in half of my break - even i am not that fast...

Janet karen wrote: "yeah, but i can't read an entire book in half of my break - even i am not that fast..."

another illusion shattered.

karen i ruin dreams - wahhhhh

i could maybe finish a graphic novel... but i will probably just re-read parts of Mortal Leap because it is really good.

Janet another book my library doesn't carry. will you never stop broadening my literary horizons?

karen this one i had to have sent to me, and it is then going on its merry way... perhaps you could get on its train? i don't know how long the list is...

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy netgalley or edelweiss?

Janet Amy wrote: "netgalley or edelweiss?"

This was part of the Macmillan BEA promos on Edelweiss.

message 12: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Farrar Strauss never disappoints, does it?

Janet Trish wrote: "Farrar Strauss never disappoints, does it?"

No. Nor Knopf.

message 14: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish oops, just had a FSG failure: A Single Shot was really awful. Lots of great reviews on Goodreads, however. Must be gratifying for the author but it really fooled me.