Katy's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Jun 18, 12

Read from June 16 to 18, 2012

3.5 stars - Bouncing between 3 and 4. I know a lot of people are saying they like this book better than the first, and in a lot of ways I agree. However, I had a few problems with it that kept me from giving it a higher rating than the first.

First of all the guy. Personally, I prefer Chris because his bad boy charm was kind of boyish in an enduring way. Gabriel is a bit too much of a quick-tempered hot head. But I felt Kemmerer did a good job of portraying his challenges as the brother who always screwed up. There's a rawness in his desperation to do what's right but his mouth and his fist just always seem to get him in trouble.

And Layne was a MUCH better character than Becca. Layne was also a defensive character, but hers came from insecurity, whereas Becca was just plain bitchy.

So the story about your typical teen troubles in high school was not bad at all. Where my complaint lies is the storyline dealing with the Elementals. Near the beginning, we learn that the Merrick brothers are supposed to lay low. That's fine and everything, but I ALMOST felt like Kemmerer kind of cheated us out of a book that had potential to be full of action with just that simple excuse.

We find out who were responsible for all the trouble at the end, but they did not fit in with the story as much as the culprit in the first book. So yeah, Kemmerer did give us a twist (though it wasn't entirely unpredictable), but it seemed out of place.

And part of my hesitation was I felt a good chunk of this book was a better written version of the first book.

SPOILER ALERT: DO NOT CLICK ON THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE BOOK. THIS WILL RUIN IT FOR YOU SO IGNORE THE FLASHING NEON SIGN. THIS IS YOUR WARNING .

(view spoiler)

So yeah, the characters were better in this book. But the storyline itself kind of disappointed me a bit. However, I still liked this book very much and will be following the rest of the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cassie See? Told you Layne was better, lol. :P Interesting. I didn't recognize all the similarities you mentioned (although the plot devices were used and presented in different ways).

Katy Cassie wrote: "See? Told you Layne was better, lol. :P Interesting. I didn't recognize all the similarities you mentioned (although the plot devices were used and presented in different ways)."

Yes, Layne was great. I really liked her. And yeah, they were presented in different ways, but it makes you wonder how she's going to write two more books (I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up writing one for Hunter too), especially since (view spoiler)

But yeah, overall, I liked it very much. I'm still bouncing between the 3 and 4 though. I really wish GR let us do half-stars.

Bodea Yayyy for your review. I want to request this on netgalley, but I'm still waiting for Kensington to get back to me on another book. I'm happy to hear Layne was more enjoyable than Becca. I'm kinda worried about your comments on the plot because there are still two (or three) books to go. We'll see.

message 4: by Katy (last edited Jun 18, 2012 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy Bodea wrote: "Yayyy for your review. I'm kinda worried about your comments on the plot because there are still two (or three) books to go."

What?!? You read the spoiler? Didn't you see my excessive warnings? And LOL, I think it's worth a read. I think I would have liked it more if I had read it first (Layne makes such a HUGE difference in making the book more enjoyable).

Bodea Katy wrote: "Bodea wrote: "Yayyy for your review. I want to request this on netgalley, but I'm still waiting for Kensington to get back to me on another book. I'm happy to hear Layne was more enjoyable than Bec..."

Lol,not this time, I was good and didn't click the spoiler tag. Just your comments about the plot kinda have me worried, but you did say it was a better version of the first book so that's good.