Brandy's Reviews > T4

T4 by Ann Clare LeZotte

Oct 09, 08

bookshelves: 2008reads, historical, for-work, teen, middle-grade
Read in October, 2008

I had high hopes for this--a holocaust book that isn't focused on the Jews, but rather on the disabled, an under-represented viewpoint. Lois Lowry even provides a cover quote, claiming that this book is "told with spare lyricism and haunting imagery." But it's just not. Okay, "spare" I'll grant, but there's virtually no imagery at all, and has all the lyricism of an owner's manual. It's a novel in verse (which always gives me pause; it's rare to find one that's done well), and at a slim 100 pages, provides very little information other than that this happened.

The author (who is apparently a published poet, though that boggles me) provides no extra details, no fleshed-out characters or settings or circumstances. It reads like a textbook broken into lines. By the end of the book, I still didn't care about the narrator, and it moves along with so little feeling I couldn't really say if it all happened in the span of a decade or a year or a week. (Flipping through it again, it's 4 years--but there's no sense of time progressing, or of spending any length of time in any place.)

Give this one a pass; there are plenty of other, better holocaust books available, though it's a shame so few talk about any persecuted group other than Jews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read T4.