El's Reviews > The Female Quixote

Jul 25, 2007

it was ok
bookshelves: 18th-centurylit, 1001-books-list, hear-me-roar-and-gender
Read in August, 2007

Written almost 150 years after the original Don Quixote, Charlotte Lennox attempted similar popularity by creating these adventures of Arabella. Like Don Quixote, Arabella lives in a delusional world so unlike reality that she creates her own drama simply by existing.

Raised on poorly translated romances that she reads to be gospel, Arabella's expectations of the world involves chivalry like the kind she read in the romances of Cleopatra's life. When it comes to her suitors she expects her men to willingly throw themselves on the knife for her or beneath a carriage. Any behavior less than that leaves Arabella cold. In one instance where her suitor Glanville becomes ill she insists on visiting him on his sickbed to announce that it is all in his head, he is sick because he can not have her, and it is about time he recover so he can continue to love her from afar. Despite all assurances that his sickness has little to do with his feelings for her, she knows only what she has read in romance novels of the past and continues to believe the men in her life exist solely to love her and that they will do anything for her.

Meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comedy much of the story is flat and uninteresting. Scenes in which Arabella rants and raves about the books she has read (and how it would behoove any suitor interested in obtaining her affections to read the histories of the heroines Arabella likens to herself) are by far the most interesting and entertaining. However, they are far and few between and the meat in the middle is dry.

While I appreciate Lennox's attempt to create a Female Quixote, nothing can compare with the original.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Female Quixote.

message 1: by Alex (last edited Jan 20, 2014 12:14PM) (new)

Alex Thanks for this; I'll take this off my mental to-read list. The idea is so good! Bummer about the execution.

message 2: by Fil (new)

Fil Ohhh, I just looked at this and it seemed good. It might stay in my 'to read' list anyway but a bit further down...

message 3: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Fil wrote: "Ohhh, I just looked at this and it seemed good. It might stay in my 'to read' list anyway but a bit further down..."

I'm curious your thoughts on it, Fil, so definitely read it. I just loved Don Quixote so much, and this one just couldn't get anywhere near to that level. A for effort though.

message 4: by Fil (new)

Fil Yeah... Don Quixote. I almost gave it 2 stars. The first part was very, very good. The second part was a chore to finish, it felt like he had no idea how to end it and it just dragged on and on. Writing it ten years later sure did not help.

I hope this is closer to the first part.

message 5: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Now I REALLY want to see what you think of this one. i forgot you didn't care much for Don Q.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex Fil!!!!!!!

message 7: by Fil (new)

Fil Hey Alex! I remember you giving a bit of grief over my rating of Don Q (is that how we called it now? Q for qrappy second part?)