Kirei's Reviews > The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: older-kids
Read in June, 2012

I give this three and a half stars. I had heard wonderful things about this book and was prepared to be amazed, and while it was good, I would not say we found it amazing.

I think one reason was that I read it aloud to my son, a boy who probably relates most to the friend who flushes his homework down the toilet. I hate to divide literature into girls' and boys' books, but this really is a quintessentional girls' story. Let's just say my son is also currently reading "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" right now and he enjoys that more.

I personally did not like that the adult characters--especially Mrs. Tifton and Mr. Penderwick--were so bland and one-dimensional. Mr. Penderwick was positively cheerful when the kids almost burn the house down. Come on, I want to see a dad who gets angry now and then. And Mrs. Tifton really should have been more nuanced--she was like an evil villain out of a Disney movie.

On the good side, the personalities of the children were great. There are lots of good lessons to learn in this book and it also a great "sisterhood" book. There were some good quotes--I should have marked them because they escape me now.

ETA: I just asked my son "Did you like it?". And he said "Oh yeah, it's cool.". So I was all prepared to change my review, but it turns out he thought I was asking about his video game. Whatever. Lol
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Penderwicks.