Rebekah's Reviews > A Prayer for Owen Meany

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: children, coming-of-age, class-distinction, faith, family, death, friendship, historical-fiction, modern-classic, social-commentary, vietnam-conflict
Read from June 16 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Prayer for Owen Meany.

Quotes Rebekah Liked

John Irving
“Your memory is a monster; you forget—it doesn't. It simply files things away. It keeps things for you, or hides things from you—and summons them to your recall with will of its own. You think you have a memory; but it has you!”

John Irving
“Never confuse faith, or belief—of any kind—with something even remotely intellectual.”

John Irving
“The only way you get Americans to notice anything is to tax them or draft them or kill them.”

John Irving
“I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice. Not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God. I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.”

John Irving
“Watch out for people who call themselves religious; make sure you know what they mean––make sure they know what they mean!”

John Irving
“Owen Meany believed that “coincidence” was a stupid, shallow refuge sought by stupid, shallow people who were unable to accept the fact that their lives were shaped by a terrifying and awesome design – more powerful and unstoppable than the Yankee Flyer. (a train)”

John Irving
“I want to go on being a student," I told him. "I want to be a teacher. I'm just a reader," I said.

"DON'T SOUND SO ASHAMED," he said. "READING IS A GIFT."

"I learned it from you," I told him.

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU LEARNED IT- IT'S A GIFT. IF YOU CARE ABOUT SOMETHING, YOU HAVE TO PROTECT IT. IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A WAY OF LIFE YOU LOVE, YOU HAVE TO FIND THE COURAGE TO LIVE IT.”

John Irving
“A truly happy woman drives some men and almost every other woman absolutely crazy”

John Irving
“When someone you love dies, and you're not expecting it, you don't lose her all at once; you lose her in pieces over a long time—the way the mail stops coming, and her scent fades from the pillows and even from the clothes in her closet and drawers. Gradually, you accumulate the parts of her that are gone. Just when the day comes—when there's a particular missing part that overwhelms you with the feeling that she's gone, forever—there comes another day, and another specifically missing part.”