Laura's Reviews > Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health

Forks Over Knives by Gene Stone

10198846
Jul 06, 12

THIS IS ONE OCCASION IN WHICH THE MOVIE IS BETTER THAN THE BOOK!!! PLEASE WATCH IT!! The book is pretty good for recipes but it basically is just a summary of the movie. The movie, on the other hand, was totally mind blowing. I am a registered nurse and I see first-hand what obesity & poor diet do to people.

I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 15 years but started to eat seafood on occasion because of convenience. Anyway, I started to see myself suddenly gain weight & thought it was just peri-menopausal. As a result, I started to eat more seafood & dairy to increase my protein as a modified low carb diet. I lost a little weight but my energy level was very low. Earlier this year, I developed Shingles. I thought, "How can this be? I'm a healthy person who is extremely active!" I have the normal amount of stress but I don't sleep & again, I attributed that to hormones. The Shingles were extremely painful & after they went away, the pain remained despite any sort of medication.

I watched this movie on a whim & it really made an impression on me. Who would have thought high protein was so dangerous? I always thought that maybe those high protein diets would cause renal damage, but many people I know have lost weight without their kidney function being affected but now I worry about problems they will have later in life. While thinking of the long term, I decided that for me, altering my diet is so much more preferable than to take medications & then have to take more meds to alleviate the side effects. Remember, I'm a nurse. I know this to be true.

I decided to try this diet for a month & see how I would feel. I cut out all processed foods, all dairy, & all seafood. Within a week, I was amazed at how wonderful I felt! I had tremendous amounts of energy, my clothes were getting looser, and best of all, my Shingles pain disappeared!! Incredible!! I decided to continue the diet for even longer! A month into it, I got my cholesterol checked & it was the lowest it has ever been IN MY LIFE!!

But the most amazing thing was that we had 3 parties over the next month & I cheated by eating a small amount of processed food, a piece of cake, some chips, a brownie. And wouldn't you know it, I felt like garbage the very next day. My face was swollen, my Shingles pain came back, & I was definitely more tired. And this happened on 3 different occasions, like clockwork! It seems the stuff that comes in boxes & bags with all those crazy ingredients are what are so dangerous to us. Our bodies must go into some sort of inflammatory mode to figure out how to rid ourselves of this stuff. Again, it's truly amazing!

One other thing is that I've been having my periods every 20 days for years (I know, to much information). It is not fun to go through that so often. Well, since I've started this diet, it went right to 27 days. We really don't realize that the food we eat has so many immediate consequences.

It is true that in this society, eating this way can be a difficult. I went to a birthday dinner for a relative at a steakhouse (I ate before I went out) and decided I would eat some broccoli so I wouldn't stand out. This broccoli was loaded with butter! I looked at the menu & there was absolutely nothing on it without some sort of animal product on it. It's really awful.

The people in this movie who drastically changed their diet were on death's door but are still alive over 20 years later. If you are relatively healthy, you may be able to lower the amount of processed foods & animal products that you eat a little at a time, but I'm telling you you will feel the difference. Eat things as close to their natural state as possible. Eating this way is definitely challenging & you need to learn to cook a whole new way with new ingredients but you can really come up with some yummy stuff!

I really hope this catches on because people are the fattest & unhealthiest they have ever been. Breaks my heart especially to see children this way. I bought the video to show all the other nurses I work with and EVERY SINGLE NURSE who has seen it was deeply impressed & they are all learning to cook vegan meals & getting their spouses involved. If people educated in science & health practices are impressed, you should take it seriously too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forks Over Knives.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cynthia Dunn I agree. The movie was mind blowing to this vegetarian who had strayed to junk food and salmon sushi. Back on track because my cholesterol went sky high.