Madeline's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

111921
Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2012

Hey everyone, George RR Martin here. I thought I'd take some time off from planning my intricate and complex storylines (spoiler alert: everyone has sex with everyone and then kills each other) to introduce A Feast for Crows, the long-awaited fourth installment in my epic fantasy series! You guys are in for a treat, this one is awesome.

So the last book was quite a ride, huh? There was that craziness that was the Weddings of Death, Tyrion killed his father, , Jon Snow finally got cool and is now Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Arya continued to be a tiny BAMF, Bran looked like he was finally moving towards a real plot, and Daenerys decided to temporarily shelve her whole unleash-the-dogs-of-war plan and be a queen for a while. Also I made Christmas come early for Madeline when I killed off Catelyn Stark, only to bring all her hopes and dreams crashing down when it turned out that Catelyn is a zombie now and will never die. Hee hee hee.

Anyway, with all that cool stuff, you probably thought that this book was going to be made of awesome, what with all the fallout from the stuff I described above. And it will be, but unfortunately my attention to detail and complex storylines finally came back to bite me in the ass, and it turns out I couldn't devote an entire book to all the plots I started in the last book. So I divided them into two volumes, and saved all the cool people for Book Five. Want to read about Jon Snow, Daenerys, and Tyrion? Too fucking bad.

Don't worry though, this means we get to meet lots of fun new characters, like Theon's crazy uncles and a lot of random people from Dorne. They each get just one chapter, of course, because they only exist so I can have a perspective to show all these events from (my changing single-character viewpoint structure has also begun to bite me in the ass, unfortunately) and you'll probably never see them again, but that's what makes it fun!

It's not all bad, at least - Arya's still here, even though she's not doing much murdering or really much of anything. This is where Arya learns how to be more awesome, so she can wreck everyone's shit later - or maybe not, because in the last chapter we see her in, she's just gone blind. Is it temporary, or permanent? You'll just have to buy the next book and find out (maybe)!

And hey, I gave you guys some Cersei chapters, finally. And yes, she's just as much of a psycho bitch as you always suspected. You're welcome. Also Jaime chapters - bet you didn't think he would turn out to be one of the only decent characters in the series, huh? (of course, if he's becoming one of the good guys, that means I'll probably murder him soon) And there are more Samwell Tarly chapters! Everyone loves reading about Sam, right? Guys? Guys? Where are you going?

Don't worry, the next book will be all about Tyrion and Daenerys and Bran (look, it's going to pay off soon, I swear. Really guys, he's going to be interesting eventually.) and all the other cool characters that I totally ignored in this book and that you really wanted to read about. As for all the character-based cliffhangers I established in this book, will they be resolved in the next volume? Probably not! I am George RR Martin, and I demand your money and your tears!

PS: Quit bitching at me to write faster. You'll get your books when I say you get them, and not a day sooner. Don't push me, or the next volume published will be titled A Siege of Tears and it'll be nothing but Jon Snow, Bran Stark, and Samwell Tarly sitting around and thinking about how inadequate they are. Do not test me on this, nerds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.

06/15/2012 page 70
7.0% "AND THE CERSEI CHAPTERS BEGIN! I've been waiting three books to get inside her head, and let me tell you, folks: it's violent and paranoid in there, and I am loving it."
06/17/2012 page 130
12.0% "Oh my god, Petyr: either you want to fuck Sansa or you want to be her dad. PICK ONE, YOU CANNOT DO BOTH."
06/19/2012 page 445
42.0% "Characters I do not give a crap about: any of the Greyjoys, everyone from Dorne. People I love reading about: Tyrion, Daenerys. Guess who's glaringly absent from this book? This is bullshit, Martin." 3 comments
06/19/2012 page 445
06/21/2012 page 500
47.0% "So Sansa is still stuck with Petyr, who has told her to use the alias Alayne so no one will figure out who she is (and, y'know, save her from the creepy murderer because that would be just terrible), and now the chapters from Sansa's perspective are titled "Alayne." Somehow, out of everything that has happened to Sansa so far, this saddens me the most." 1 comment
06/22/2012 page 516
49.0% ""If [Cersei] had only married Rhaegar as the gods intended, he would never have looked twice at the wolf girl." There's one for you, Jon-Snow's-parents-were-Lyanna-and-Rhaegar conspiracy theorists."
06/23/2012 page 750
71.0% "Arya just drank some potion, and the last sentence of the chapter goes, "When she woke up in the morning, she was blind." I flipped ahead, and there are NO MORE ARYA CHAPTERS in this book. GOD DAMN YOU MARTIN." 1 comment
06/25/2012 page 900
85.0% "Even a little thing like "being dead" cannot stop Catelyn Stark from completely misreading a situation and doing something to "help" that actually makes everything much, much worse. I hate more than any of the real villains in this series."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne Nikoline I've hears this book such bad compared to the previous ones. do you agree?

Madeline It's not any less exciting or violent than the others (although so far there's a sad lack of sudden, awesome plot twists - it's early, though); my big problem is that there are a lot of new characters and narrators, which meant that some of the well-established narrators are conspicuously absent. The lack of Daenerys and Tyrion is starting to annoy me, and although Jon Snow was never my favorite character, he was just starting to get cool at the end of the last book and there was the possibility of some good plots coming up for him. But is he in this book? Nope, instead I have to read about Samwell fucking Tarly and it sucks.

message 3: by Manny (new)

Manny spoiler alert: everyone has sex with everyone and then kills each other

Dammit, Madeline, I was meaning to read this series and now you've ruined it for me.

message 4: by Jean-marcel (new)

Jean-marcel Lol, love it. For some reason even though I only ever made it about a hundred pages into the first book (it wasn't that bad, I just didn't really feel like joining them all on this grand epic adventure at the time), I've become rather fond of reading less-than-glowing reviews here on goodreads. Yours got me a-grinning. Has Martin even declared which book will be the last?

Madeline According to the Wikipedia page, there are supposed to be seven books in all (but that could change, because the series was originally supposed to be just a trilogy and also I refuse to believe that Martin can bring everything to a satisfying conclusion in just three more books)

Sherry If he lives that long! Have you seen pictures of him? If ever there was a man on his way to a coronary it's Martin.

James I think that the weird character split for books four and five was a huge mistake - in fact, I think both books suffer for it.

message 8: by Jean-marcel (new)

Jean-marcel Sherry wrote: "If he lives that long! Have you seen pictures of him? If ever there was a man on his way to a coronary it's Martin."

Hah hah hah, he's gonna pull a Jordan on all of you! wait and seeeee!

Madeline Exactly, James - I get why he didn't want to include Tyrion in Book 4, because it was kind of cool that the other characters had no idea what he was up to, and neither did I - but would it have killed him to throw us a few Daenerys chapters? And there were way too many Greyjoys in this book.

message 10: by Joel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel i thought the dorne plot was kind of interesting (not so much the greyjoys). i don't know how you are going to feel about book 5. it is all of what you want and more of what you don't. and more of what you want in a way that you don't.

Terry Is this the most perfect review of this book? Yes. Yes it is.

Madeline The Dorne stuff got better as it progressed, but I just got frustrated with how he apparently thought it was necessary to use a new character for each chapter, even though it was all taking place in basically the same location and concerning the same events. In the earlier books he'd always found clever ways to make sure his narrators saw all the important stuff, but in this book it was like he suddenly got tired of it and took the easy way out by just creating new perspectives and discarding them after one chapter.

message 13: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie "Even a little thing like "being dead" cannot stop Catelyn Stark from completely misreading a situation and doing something to "help" that actually makes everything much, much worse." hahahaha great!

Madeline There are no words to properly describe how much I hate Catelyn Stark. Like Regina George, she's a life ruiner. She ruins people's lives.

message 15: by agata (new) - added it

agata Thank you so much for this review. I haven't laughed so much for a very long time :-D
I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of this tome and you just nailed it. Especially the part about Catelyn Stark - I think she is just there to punish us readers.

message 16: by Ru (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ru Viljoen Thanks for this.

message 17: by Méadhbh (new) - added it

Méadhbh Ooh, thank you for that. I needed a laugh.

message 18: by Méadhbh (new) - added it

Méadhbh Oh, and he better not pull a Robert Jordan on us, or I'm going to his funeral and egging his casket.