Jill's Reviews > Losing My Sister, A Memoir

F 50x66
Jun 21, 13

bookshelves: memoir, book-club
Read from May 28 to June 21, 2013

This is a strange review for me to write, because I am related by marriage to Brenda, the older sister that author Judy Goldman loved and struggled with. While I know some of the people that are described in the book, I was amazed by how much I didn't know -- and perhaps that's a good thing. I hate that they caused each other so much pain even though they loved one another so much. Perhaps this line from near the end of the memoir sums up the story of their family dynamic: "Everything is always more complicated than it seems."

I loved Judy's descriptions of her childhood with Brenda and learning more about both of them and their families. And since Judy began her writing career as a poet, she writes beautifully. A paragraph I liked: "Family stories grow to be bigger than the experiences themselves. They become home to us, tell us who we are, who we want to be. Over the years, they take on more and more embellishments and adornments until they eclipse the actual memories. They become our past -- just as a snapshot will, at first, enhance a memory, then replace it."
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing My Sister, A Memoir.

05/28/2013 marked as: currently-reading