Roxanne Hsu Feldman's Reviews > Roadwork

Roadwork by Sally Sutton

Oct 09, 08

bookshelves: picturebooks, babytoddler, prek-k
Read in October, 2008

I can see people using this in reading aloud time in a library setting and getting excited about a new book on machinery and road building and various sounds that one can make and get the kids to make during the program.

However, there, to me, is quite a bit of design problem. (Since the text is not lengthy and the illustrations seem to be less important than that of the design of the text, I demand quite a bit from the Designer here):

The bold and large Ariel font is repeated exactly the same way from spread to spread with no consideration to fit the meaning of the text:

Packing the ground noises: Clang! Crunch! Crack! "deserve" a LARGE and BOLD typeface

But, Spreading the tar noises: Splooshy! Splashy! Splishy! use the exact font, and exact weight, and exact size progression as the packing sound.

Even when they workers stop and have a lunch break, they eat and drink with the Gulp! Slurp! Crunch! sounds still use the exact same type face and design.

It's tedious and contrary to what many others have said about visually cuing the young readers into the meanings of these sound words, I think it is confusing when all kinds of sounds and "volumes" of these sounds are represented the same way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roadwork.