Megan's Reviews > Mindful of Him

Mindful of Him by Hollis Hughes

I always try to say something nice about books, but I am having a hard time thinking of anything that I liked, enjoyed or even thought was interesting with this book. The cover is absolutely gorgeous, and...uhhh...that's about all.

I was very disappointed with this book; it was not at all what I was expecting. The synopsis of the book sounded SO good, but after the first few pages the story just lost my interest, and had I not had to review it, it would have joined the very short list of books that I didn't finish. I think the problem was the way the story is told, with more of the story being told as though you are an outsider observing Rob, then you are experiencing everything with him. All the different visions (or whatever they were) of people, places and things Rob had was confusing, and took away from any of the suspense or build-up that I might have felt - I never was surprised by any of the things that seemed to surprise Rob. He would have a vision of a place and "feel" that it would be just around the next bend, then low and behold it was and he would be amazed by it - it just got so monotonous.

Mindful of Him was different than most Christian fiction I have read, in fact I personally wouldn't label it as such as there is quite a bit of cussing in it. The D-word and H-word are said quite a lot, the B-words for women and illegitimate children several times, a lot of slightly cleaned-up versions of BS and a few others that I can't recall at this time. Even though the words in the book would be considered mild by most people's standards, I believe Christian fiction should be free of this type of language or at least let people know that it is the book so those that absolutely don't want to read a book with that in there know about it.

Overall, I did not enjoy reading Mindful of Him and it is not a book I would recommend.

***I received a complimentary copy of this book to review. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book - which I have done. ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mindful of Him.

08/14/2012 page 24