Lisa's Reviews > The Punk Ethic

The Punk Ethic by Timothy Decker

Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, netgalley, very-well-written, y-a
Read from June 15 to 16, 2012

I admit, the cover and title of this book were the reasons I wanted to read this book. I had no idea what the book was about but it looked like it had potential. I was actually slightly worried I'd be disappointed but I ended up loving the unique voice present in this book.

The Punk Ethic is about a teenage boy named Martin. It follows the events of one month in his life. The main plot: Martin writes an essay about landmines and his teacher asks him what Martin's going to do about the problem. So Martin decides to arrange a music benefit show in order to raise enough money to adopt a landmine and deactivate it.

Things I loved:
Martin and the way he thinks. I loved the essays he wrote, especially the "Dictionaries are better than novels" essay. I love how intelligent his voice is and how there is no cheesiness present in anything he does.
Holly. I don't even know what to say.
The essays I already mentioned.
The drawings before each diary entry were fantastic.
The diary format, which really worked in this book. It's hard to pull off diary format in an effective way.
The length of the book. I like when a book isn't afraid to be short. I like things to be to the point.
The emotional twist at the end.

I can't really say there was anything I hated about this book. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I'd totally recommend it to anyone looking to read a Y.A book with an intelligent male voice.

(Thanks to netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for my honest opinion)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Punk Ethic.

06/15/2012 page 133