Coranne's Reviews > Short-Straw Bride

Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

3520669
Dec 29, 15

Read in August, 2012

The idea of this book was intriguing to me. I always find stories about two people forced to be together (although they are hiding feelings of attraction) to be entertaining and this one did not let me down. Meri's character was entertaining, and she absolutely has spunk to her. I appreciated that she wasn't a character that was too good and never did wrong. She was impulsive and not afraid to share her opinions. I did have a tough time figuring out how old they were- I believe that Meri is 26 when the bulk of the story takes place, but I am not completely sure because that seems old for a historical story to be talking about marriage.

This was a highly entertaining story- there was a constant flow of action throughout the book. The villains were clearly defined to the reader, and there was no redemption offered for the villains. I have to say, the best part of the book was the Archer family. I really enjoyed reading about a group of bachelor brothers, all trying to survive together. Each brother had a defined personality and was given a chance to be developed throughout the story. This was a fun read for me, and fans of historical fiction would be a fan of this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Short-Straw Bride.

12/29/2015 marked as: read