Jessica Payne's Reviews > The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

F 50x66
Jun 15, 2012

Escaping the Maze was supposed to be the end of the Trials, at least that’s what Thomas thought. His hopes were even higher as a group of people came and helped the Gladers escape from WICKED, the people who had put them in the Maze. But his world crumbles around him as he and the rest of his group wake to find their rescuers dead and even worse, Theresa is missing.

The Scorch Trials, by James Dasher begins where the first book in the series, The Maze Runner, leaves off. Our hero, Thomas, along with Minho, Newt, Frypan and the other surviving Gladers are now forced into a new trial. They are all infected with a deadly disease called the Flare that is now ravaging the world. In order to receive a cure they must cross through 100 miles of the Scorch, a vast expanse of earth that has been turned to desert by the sun flares, and reach the safe haven within two weeks. The Scorch is full of Cranks, people who have been infected with the Flare and are slowly going insane, among other dangers, and Thomas and the Gladers are again forced through peril after peril as they fight to make it to the safe haven in time.

As sequels go, I thought the book was really well done. There is a heavy feeling of despair as Thomas is forced through the worst part of the surviving world, which really mirrors Thomas’s internal struggle as he tries to face his own responsibility for the Trials and the Maze in particular. I found the Cranks and the idea of the Flare to be fairly terrifying, as these infected people seem to be going slowly insane and ultimately reduced to zombie-like beings feasting on human flesh. The author is very adept at creating vivid environments, and his descriptions of the Scorch feel almost tangible. Again, the complexity of the characters was shown through many unexpected twists and turns in the plot – all of which kept me turning pages until the wee hours of the morning. If you liked The Maze Runner, you’ll love this sequel. In fact, I suggest buying all three books (or if you have an expensive reading habit like me, check out all three from the library) at the same time so you don’t have to wait to delve into the next book.

For more reviews, check out my blog at http://yafortheyah.blogspot.com/.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.