Regina Jennings's Reviews > Short-Straw Bride

Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

Jun 15, 12

Warning - reading this book in public can lead to embarrassment.

I had a doctor appointment recently and was excited to finally have some quiet time to read "Short-Straw Bride". Unfortunately, the waiting room was too quiet.

When young Meredith steals onto Archer land and Travis - the misunderstood and feared hero - comes to her rescue, I was hooked. I was completely engrossed in the story when Meredith, under the impression that she's dreaming, tells the scary Mr. Archer what she really thinks of him...and I snorted...snorted loudly earning concerned glances from my waiting-room friends.

But I couldn't stop thinking about the story and when I got back to my car I gave into temptation and decided to sit there and read at least one more chapter - after all, the kids were okay without me for just a bit more. One chapter stretched into another...and another. When would Travis figure out that Meredith didn't want him to be SO gentlemanly? Would Crockett, Jim and Neill find brides of their own? (Love their names, by the way.) I was deep into the story when one of my new waiting room acquaintances knocked on the car window to see if I was having car trouble. Busted.

Short-Straw Bride is a wonderful story. Travis's confused handling of his bride is endearing. Meredith's hero worship transforms seamlessly into a mature understanding of her husband, without costing him any shine. I don't know if there are subsequent books planned for these entertaining brothers, but sign me up for the petition drive.

Well done and highly recommended. Just don't read it with an audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Short-Straw Bride.