Marie's Reviews > Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice

Here's the Story by Maureen McCormick

Aug 23, 09

bookshelves: memoirs, nonfiction
Read in August, 2009

Recently I got my sons watching "The Brady Bunch" and was feeling nostalgic, so I checked out Maureen McCormick's recent memoir. It was like cotton candy...sweet, but ultimately not very satisfying. McCormick briefly talks about her life as Marcia, but mostly the book is about her wild life and dysfunctional family.

Post-Brady, McCormick dabbled in cocaine, bulimia, promiscuity, and spousal abuse. She comes across as a bit of a spoiled brat at times. At the same time, her mother was tortured because she had contracted syphillis at birth and bore horrible shame throughout her life. One of her brothers essentially went wacko and took over her father's life, while shutting out Marcia and her brother. Granted, McCormick does endure some sad experiences.

But. Much of the book is filled with self-pity. Her husband is long suffering. She spends a good deal of her life cursing her Marcia role...and also feeling sorry for herself because she can't get any good acting work. After portraying Marcia, she felt that Hollywood wouldn't give her a break.

At the same time, I kept reading for nostalgia sake. I loved "The Brady Bunch" as a kid...even though viewing it now, I see it is such a throw-back! Apparently McCormick was embarrassed to be on such an uncool show, especially when the much cooler "Partridge Family" came out (also a fave of mine)!

Some inconsistencies and gaps were obvious. In the photo collection, she has a photo of her family with the Clintons in the White House, but doesn't mention this incident in the book.

Overall, though, I enjoyed parts of the book and was not inclined to put it down--even though I was a bit embarrassed to be reading it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here's the Story.

08/19/2009 "I wonder if I'll like this book, because the goodreads reviews are not so good!"
show 1 hidden update…