Chris's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Jul 25, 2007

Recommended for: anyone with a heart
Read in May, 2007

These days I tend to read books in small steps. Ten pages on my lunch break is the most progress I seem to make. I read this book in two sittings.

Forget the "O" on the cover. Sometimes, Oprah gets things right (who'd have thought she would have a summer of Faulkner!?)

Truth is, post-apocalyptic fiction intrigues me. With the world as fucked up as it is, I wonder what it would be like to just start over. In McCarthy's vision of it, it's pretty brutal. Many people have criticized the simplicity of the language in "The Road." Well, what do you expect, given the circumstances?

I can't think of any other piece of fiction that has affected me as much in the past few years, with the exception of David Mitchell's "Cloud Atlas" (another dystopian work).

This is what we read books for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

message 1: by Gar (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Gar Ver oh wow, I would've never guessed this book was post-apocalyptic.. I'll have to give this one a read!

cameron Agree completely. Simplicity of the language? I never heard that one. This is probably the most chilling book I have ever read. Images still haunt me. I never even bothered going to the movie. No way could this book be captured on film. Brilliant.