Daniel's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: favorites

If one looks at my favorites shelf, they become a little exasperated when they notice that the entire Sandman series that I have read thus far has earned five stars for each volume. "I can understand that they like this series," the eye-rollers would say, "but isn't a five-star rating for every Sandman novel a bit overkill? I mean, this guy obviously liked Harry Potter, but only a few books in that series got five stars. Why does the Sandman get such a high standard? Could it be that the Sandman series is *gasp* BETTER than Harry Potter?"

I should explain myself. Firstly, to compare Harry Potter and the Sandman series is a bit unfair. Harry Potter is more of a collection of chronological stories, and the Sandman is a constant flow of story. Plus, comparing a boy wizard to the living embodiment of Dreams is like having a heavyweight boxer compete against a canary. Secondly, as I mentioned before, the main Sandman series is a constant thread of story, so I made my review of the entire story as a whole. As you can see, it was quite an excellent tale.

If you were looking for a review of the Preludes and Nocturnes, I apologize for rambling. I highly recommend any Neil Gaiman work I read, with a few exceptions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.