Robert's Reviews > Mouse Guard: Fall 1152

Mouse Guard by David Petersen

Jun 27, 12

Read from June 15 to 23, 2012

Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 is about a trio of soldiers, left over from past war, who now protect the surrounding lands from the dangers of the wilderness. The trio discovers a map of the city of Lockhaven and uncovers a traitorous plot to seize control from the current government and disband the Mouse Guard. The trio fight a host of monsters and meet interesting characters along their way to warn Lockhaven and the Matriarch, Lady Gwendoyn.
I had heard nothing but great things about this series, but for some reason had not picked it up until now. I guess I thought that a book about cute little mice, running around with swords, couldn’t be that cool. I was wrong. I loved every bit of this book. The characters were compelling and their motivations were easy to understand, the plot was classic, but not cliché as the reader is discovering how this world works, and there is an excellent balance between adventure, humor, and heart. The art style is gorgeous, every panel has a high level of consistency and detail. The only complaint that I have is that sometimes the mice all look so similar that it takes a panel or two to remember which character is which. This is a minor complaint, as the personalities of the characters are so strong that you quickly know which character is which.
I recommend this book to anyone 7/8 years old and up. That is not to say that it is a kids book, it can be enjoyed at any age. If you are a fan of the fantasy genre, then this book will be right up your alley. I’ve already purchased the next 3 volumes and can’t wait to share them with my friends and family. This book sits perfectly on the shelf next to David Eddings, R.A. Salvatore, Ed Greenwood, and the like. Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mouse Guard.