ALM188's Reviews > Lover at Last

Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

Apr 17, 13

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vampires
Read in April, 2013

I am a huge fan of J.R. Ward. I am so happy I found her during the paranormal craze a few years ago. I think she is one of the best authors when it comes to building characters her readers care about. I don't read a Ward book for an intense plot, I read them to find out about the lives of the brothers, their shellans, and everyone else in between that has become a part of this world.

I have noticed in the last three books she has deviated from following a central couple close-up. We are getting a lot more side stories that are being developed alongside the main hero/heroine (or in this case hero/hero) and I am going back and forth with that. I found in this particular book I loved finding out about Assail. I think there is so much potential with him, his cousins, and where his allegiances will finally lie. And we have the introduction of Sola Morte, I won't say anything else.

I haven't seen Murhder back yet (spelling?)but I am really interested in seeing his story line get more developed.

To be honest I just don't like the Xcor and Layla angle. Hopefully this grows on me, and I definitely see big things happening for this couple and what it means for the Kingship, but I just don't love Xcor. He is the antithesis to Wrath and well, we all know where my allegiances lie.

But back to this installment. At first it was hard to get back into the rhythm of Ward's writing. She is so androgynous with her characters and dialogue and I love that, but it definitely takes some getting used to and she always starts off with a bang.

Qhuinn and Blay deserved this book and I was so happy to see them finally get together. It was a hard journey for them both, but I really loved how Ward handled the m/m angle. It definitely kept her readers intrigued and it was just the perfect amount of "graphic."

I am just happily awaiting her next book. Why oh why does it have to be a year from now?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover at Last.