Deanna Vader's Reviews > Silver Sparrow

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

10242038
Jun 17, 12

Read from June 15 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy

I got this book for a beach book. I didn't think I was going to like it but I did. I actually stayed up late to finish some chapters and of course find out what happens with the family drama. I've never read an African-American book so this was a great first time for me. It started off really good for me since I liked the character Dana at first.

The story is about two young girls, two mothers, and one man. At times I was bored with the filler like how Uncle Raleigh became part of the family and Al Green parts. But hey, some people might like those parts. I really enjoyed how Ms. Jones made sure the reader could tell Dana and Chaurisse apart just by her writing style.

Some parts made me happy and some made me want to tear my hair out. I liked Dana and Gwen at first and then they turned into animals. I don't think things went back to 'normal' with James and Laverne. Things don't work like that. Read it and see what I'm talking about.

This book had it flaws but it wasn't bad. It was okay. I would recommend it other readers.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Sparrow.

06/15/2012 page 96
06/17/2012 page 266
78.0% "I'm slowly getting there."
show 3 hidden updates…