Meliana's Reviews > The Diary of Anne Frank

The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank

Oct 09, 2008

bookshelves: novel
Read in October, 2008

the diary of anne frank is probably the most marvelous, insightful and honest journal ever written. the story evolves as anne received a blank diary for her 13th birthday, just several days before she and her family hid themselves for years in a part of abandoned factory in amsterdam.

what could life be when you were isolated from the world? the feeling of secure as you were kept in a chamber, as well as the claustrophobic feeling, endless inquisitive remarks, love, pain, hunger expanded and bounced back.

anne's diary ends on August 1, 1944. She was arrested with the rest of her family 3 days later, and died in a concentration camp shortly thereafter.

her incredible story, somehow, lives until present time..

"As long as this exists," I thought, "this sunshine and this cloudless sky, and as long as I can enjoy it, how can I be sad? The best remedy for those who are frightened, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere they can be alone, alone with the sky, nature and God. For then can you feel that everything is as it should be and that God wants people to be happy among nature’s beauty and simplicity. As long as this exists, and should be forever, I know that there will be solace for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances. I firmly believe that nature can bring comfort to all who suffer.”

(taken from anne frank's diary, Wednesday, February 23, 1944)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Anne Frank.